1. What are the present-day goals of antitrust law?
2. What is the difference between price discrimination and predatory pricing?
3. Describe the difference between an independent contractor and an employee.
4. What is the employer’s liability under the doctrine of “respondeat superior”?
5. What is the Fair Labor Standards Act? How does it protect employees?
6. Describe the role of OSHA in protecting employees’ health and safety at work.
7. What is workers’ compensation? What benefits does it provide workers?
8. Describe the Family and Medical Leave Act.
9. What is the difference between a defined benefit and a defined contribution pension plan?
10. What is an at-will employee? When may an at-will employee bring a claim of wrongful discharge?
Please read CLARETT BOYCOTTED BY THE NFL? on Page 449 of the textbook and respond to the following questions:
1. Should Clarett and future football players be free to sell their services on the open market or is the NFL correct to encourage players to stay in college and mature before seeking to become professionals? Explain.
2. Congressman Steve Cohen of Tennessee, wrote a letter in 2009 to the National Basketball Association and the NBA players union asking them to repeal the rule requiring players to be 19 years old and one year removed from high school before they are eligible for the NBA. The rule is part of the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players. Does the rule constitute an unlawful restraint of trade? Explain.